Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bar fights

While there's a lot that I do not (and will never) fully understand about people, one thing in particular has been bothering me of late. Why do people seem to want to get into bar fights?

Lately, I've been trying to get out more, and I've been spending time at a kind of divish karaoke bar. They have a pool table, and I spend a bit of time figuring out how to play pool (the geometry is easy enough--it's the actual performance aspect I just can't get down). Seems there are some people who want to fight over their turn in line or something that goes down during a non-betting game. Even those things are almost understandable, when compared to the people who want to fight over a pool cue pointed at them or something they saw while not playing.

Bar fights are stupid for a number of reasons--you may not be welcome in the bar afterward; arrest chances increase in a bar; you never know who'll pull what; you can't always be sure who'll be on which side; while your reflexes are almost certainly impaired, not everyone has had as much as you (or, sometimes, any). There are other reasons, but bar fights are pretty stupid, at least around here.

Also, shattering a glass over someone's head may seem like a good idea, but you will end up cutting yourself and being charged with aggravated assault. Pick something more defensive, if available, and you'll do a lot better.

In any case, please don't fight in my bar. It ruins my good time. Thanks.

No comments: