Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Safety and Money

When I drive, I'm so glad the government keeps me safe. Here in Washington, they're smart enough to know that I can't be trusted to go 70 on most of the freeway. I know they don't just want to write tickets--they only care about my safety.

If I'm not wearing my seatbelt, I get fined over $100 dollars because it's dangerous. The state, of course, doesn't want to make any money off it, just like they only want to prevent alcohol abuse by taxing it heavily and opening several liquor stores 7 days a week.

If I talk on a cell phone while driving, I need to use a hands-free device, since it's far more dangerous to hold the phone than to be distracted by that stinking bluetooth thing hanging from my ear and not working properly. Also, I tend to drive one-handed whether I'm hanging onto a cell phone or not, but I'm sure it's actually more dangerous to have the phone in my hand.

If I run a red light, there's a chance it'll have a camera. If I pay the fine, it'll prove that I learned my lesson, so they'll have punished me enough. It won't go on my driving record, no matter how many tmes I learn my lesson. Sounds like they really care!

Y'know, I really need to care about people more. Turns out, there's a lot of money to be had making sure people stay safe.

No comments: