Friday, July 18, 2008

More random buying habits

Well, I found a great deal on a very lightly used Five Seven, so I decided not to get the Desert Eagle. A coworker was overjoyed, since he loves oddball guns and wanted the DE. I figure a lightweight gun that can hold 20 rounds of a pretty efficient caliber is a lot more justifiable than a heavy gun that can hold 7 rounds of a much larger caliber. Besides that, I can afford a lot more 5.7x28 than .50 AE.

Yeah, the Five Seven is still an oddball, but I already have some .45s, some shotguns, some .22s, and some good rifles. I am no longer looking for just the most utilitarian guns. I may even end up passing on a very nice Eddystone 1917 Enfield, since I really don't need a bolt .30-06 that I know I'd never put a scope on. On the other hand, it's a piece of history, and it'd go well with my Mausers and my .303 Enfields. The bow I'm looking at buying, on the other hand, would be an easier thing to drop, even though $220 seems pretty darn good for a lefty bow with the quiver, split limbs, limbsaver inserts, fiber-optic sight, tec riser, and whisker biscuit. After the $220, I'd still need arrows, a release, a target block, and a few other things that are probably slipping my mind right now. And all that would probably only get me spending more on archery as I figured stuff out, anyway.

In any case, it's hard to pass up a good deal on a Five Seven that has the hard case, three mags, and little to no wear. Utilitarian or not, it's a fun one.

No comments: