Thursday, June 26, 2008

Heller decision

Friends and customers have mentioned the landmark Heller decision in a congratulatory way, knowing that I'm big on gun rights. It's a landmark decision, of course, and the correct decision.

Forgive me, though, if I am a bit disappointed by the fact that fundamental rights can even be brought into question. Forgive me for being disappointed in this country for holding its collective breath waiting for the Court to decide whether our rights are, indeed, inalienable. I may seem a little overly dramatic, but what happened to a government afraid to trample its people?

Sure, they made the right decision, but what if they hadn't? Cities all over the US might be trying to disarm their citizens, and people in other cities would be loathe to intervene until it was their guns on the line. Or maybe I'm wrong, and people would've drawn the line at the Court's decision.

For now, we've been handed the proper decision, but I have to wonder whether they'll decide that cities can restrict or deny other rights next time. Maybe the next time, we'll get a city that requires citizens to practice a certain religion or that owns and controls the only newspaper. Or maybe I'm a little paranoid. I hope that's all it is.

No comments: