Thursday, May 22, 2008

Broken XD45

No, not mine.

A customer brought it in to exchange it, saying it was defective. I opened the box expecting to find that he had accidentally tried to reassemble it with the mag in or with the takedown lever down.

What greeted me inside that case, though, was far from what I expected. The slide was jammed about halfway back, with no movement either way. The feed ramp on the chamber was wedged into the chunk of metal the little feed ramp on the internals is carved out of. I could not move the slide, barrel, or guide rod a bit. Not only had the 6'4" 300 lb soldier forced the thing into place, he had also taken a mallet to it. I took it into the vault and grabbed a mallet. Unfortunately, we only had brass mallets, which I'm not entirely comfortable with using to hammer the slide out of that position. A coworker took out the pins in the frame, but the takedown lever was stuck, so we couldn't move the internals (of course, that was the first one I had tried to tap out, so I saw no point in removing the pins).

Eventually, I took it to a manager who also fancies himself a pseudo-gunsmith. He was upset that we would dare try taking the pins out and told me to "try" to get them back in "as much as [I] can." Well, knowing the gun pretty well, I put them back in, tossed the thing on his desk, and went back to helping customers.

Turns out, he had a plastic mallet, and he hammered away until things broke loose. He then pronounced the guide rod the wrong one for the gun. I looked it over, turned to him, and told him I was pretty sure it was right. He showed me how it stuck out a little when the gun was in battery. I told him it was an XD. They do that. It wouldn't go back to the locked slide position, though, so something was indeed wrong. I checked another guide rod, but that apparently wasn't the problem. The manager then huffed something about "well, I don't know what to tell you then," and I put the gun in the pile of defective guns and those in need of repair.

The lesson here: If you need a mallet to reassemble your gun, don't touch it. Let somebody else put it back together so I don't end up having to deal with your "defective" gun. Or, hell, look at the damned thing again. I'm sure he didn't have the guide rod in there appropriately, which is what stopped it up, and then he bound it up entirely when he forced it.

1 comment:

theotherryan said...

Complex finely tuned machines such as guns do not need significant/ excessive force to be put together. If it seems like significant force is needed then the operator is doing something wrong. At that point the operator needs to stop and figure out how to do it without significant force.