Monday, December 03, 2007

My new toy

I'm not sure if I still have any readers, much less a reader who knows anything about 1911-A1 values, but I could use a little bit of help. I recently acquired a GunSite custom Springfield 1911-A1. It looks as though it's seen very little use. When I picked it up, I noticed the custom guide rod, night sights, brushed feed ramp, and very little wear. The rosewood (I think) GunSite grips just made me think it had been owned by a fan of the company. Once I took possession of it, though, I noticed the GunSite logo on the slide and on both mags (which are also numbered I and II).
I have no idea of the value of it, except that I got it for less than it's worth. I'm considering selling it, but I don't want to ask too much or too little. Also, I do like the gun, so this interest in selling it is something that may pass when I figure out the value.

I would've posted pics, but I couldn't seem to take any that turned out well--the logos glared up, the details didn't show, and I just am not a photographer. Sorry.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're still here. Happy to see you back!!

Hammer said...

From what I've seen $950 to $1150.
Maybe more if it has had custom work and tuning.

It's a keeper.

Drew said...

Thanks for the input. I had kind of figured about that range, which is why I snapped it up for the $500 that was asked.
While it is certainly a keeper, I'm tempted to sell because I don't need an overly customized gun and the money could come in handy. I'm still not sure, though. It was quite the find.

Ryan (RL-OR) said...

I was somewhat worried by the way you used the word acquired again and again. I was afraid that I was going to have to come up there and help you bury some guy who used to own a GunSite custom Springfield 1911.

Ryan (RL-OR) said...

From everything I have read I would say the value of it is closer to $700. While I was not able to find anything about the GunSite itself, that is the average value of custom Springfield 1911s I have seen.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bud, $1200.Period. Depending upon which period in time the gun was 'smithed. If she's mint. If you have another 45 SELL it and KEEP the Gunsite pistol.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill

Rob said...

Put as much indirect light on the weapon as possible... sunlight, lamps where the light is deflected off of a white wall, etc. No flash, camera on a steady surface and you should be good. :)

Hammer said...

Just checking in to see if you are still blogging. hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Fucking hell, you have fans. Now post!

theotherryan said...

I would suggest holding onto it. For the price you paid you aren't going to get more gun. It is a good compliment to your XD as they are both .45's. Also it is slimmer and this a bit easier to conceal.

Anonymous said...

PS: Guns aren't toys.

Drew said...

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm probably going to hang on to it, though the idea of having an investment pay off really well is pretty appealing.