Thursday, October 11, 2007

Memories

Whenever I reach a point where I have to change something major in my life, I get a bit more sentimental than I probably should. Things that weren't all that great start to look like they were good, and I find myself kind of regretting the change, even if it is 100% for the better. The job change I'm about to go through is no exception to this.

At my current job, which will soon be done, I have had to put up with constantly being expected to come in at a moment's notice, be scheduled by someone with an active grudge, "adjust" my time card so as not to end up with overtime, perform all sorts of extra duties with no extra compensation, take work home with me despite signing on to do security work, be passed up for the only title with a raise because my boss thought I didn't want it (I don't go whining for more money often), have low (for WA) wages with no benefits, and my grades suffered when I was a student because I was constantly called in for extra night shifts.

But I focus entirely upon the good sometimes. I've been able to blog at work (doing so right now), people can keep me company for a good three hours of the shift, everyone knows me, my boss sometimes buys me breakfast, work is the most social I ever get, I have some fun work stories, and I wouldn't know where to meet a decent woman outside a college setting.

I'm moving to a position with better pay, some benefits, and the chance to be around my favorite hobby all day long. I shouldn't wonder whether it's a good move. But I keep weighing the good of my current job against an imagined and arbitrary definition of the new. Oh, well. I guess it just means that, with all the bad, the last few years haven't been a total mistake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone who actively preaches the importance of self-defense you've been pushed around a lot. One would think that this experience would show you the significance of worker's rights, and maybe even universal health care especially for the working poor. Because of what I value, I belong to one of the few remaining workers unions. It's such a shame that most have been destroyed and you're left with these types of working conditions. You don't deserve it, no one does. Good luck with the new job!!

Drew said...

You see, I chose to work in those conditions. At first, it was because I was a student at the college, so an on-campus job was really convenient. Later, it was because I had grown accustomed to the job and enjoyed it.
I continued to work classified as student labor, which is the reason I had to make some accommodations, since that classification was a rule bent in my favor. Had they hired me as non-student labor, I would've had excellent benefits and better pay.
Had I gotten to the point of being fed up, there are other jobs I could've taken. I chose to stay.