Sunday, September 23, 2007

Country and students

As some of you might have guessed, I listen to country music a lot. Rock, ska, jazz, blues, etc. all hit my playlists quite a bit, but country is my primary choice. While I'm at work, I like to have music playing, which garners reactions from some of the students.

The other night, a Garth Brooks song was playing, and one kid commented to his friend that it was Garth Brooks. Once out of sight, he loudly told his friend that the best Garth Brooks song was track twelve of some certain CD. It was said in a let's laugh at the security guard tone of voice. I didn't really give a damn. Later that night, the same pair came in, and the same kid pretended he was arguing the point still. He thought he was out of earshot when he broke down laughing. I don't care what he thinks of my music, but it just didn't even seem like a funny way to mock it.

Others come through and hear something by Big and Rich and proclaim that they love country. Sorry, kids, but that ain't really very country. I like some of it, but it's rock or something. Same kids don't bat an eye when it's Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, or Chris Ledoux. It always makes me laugh a little, since I'm certain they don't recognize them as country, even though all the country singers like to mention Hank, Waylon, and Chris once in awhile.

Still others say they don't like country, but they like my selections (I often keep it to the more upbeat stuff, since I don't need to be lulled out of my senses). These ones don't start singing along, but they might stick around and listen a minute.

Finally, there are those couple of kids who sing along, ask if I've got anything by [insert new country artist here] and generally try to make it clear that they like country. One girl was telling her friends that she was just about the only student in the dorms who liked country, and I couldn't resist making a comment. I resisted the urge to tell her she wasn't, and instead asked one little question: "Do they not like Hank Williams and his era, or is it the new stuff they don't like?" I, of course, figured she'd end up admitting that she really only liked the new stuff. Instead, without any hesitation, she announced to her friends with authority: "There IS a difference. And no one seems to like either around here." She had never once seemed to notice anything that wasn't newer country, but I couldn't say much at that point. I'd just let her make a point to her friends, apparently, and I think she felt she was impressing me. Ah, well.

And, yeah, I know that this isn't much like my usual stuff, but my muse has wandered off. I strongly suspect Farmgirl's muse of kidnapping mine, but I can't prove anything.

5 comments:

Farmgirl said...

My muse does not kidnap other muses. At most she peer pressures them to run away and hide and get trashed together, then sit around and laugh at us floundering for something to say.

Incognito said...

Good for you, Drew... it should matter not what you like, believe etc.!

Rob said...

Not a big fan of country; though, since I started playing some traditional Irish music, I've been starting to enjoy some Bluegrass since it's gotten its roots from Irish music.

Hammer said...

Country died around 1989 with all the flashy pop bullcrap.

I like some of the old stuff much better.

Drew said...

Farmgirl, I'm sorry. I know your muse didn't kidnap mine in the technical sense: only by offering something more fun than being a muse.
Incognito, I completely agree that a person shouldn't care what others think...though I'm still a little iffy on playing VeggieTales or Disney songs.
Rob, As long as you like what you like because you enjoy it, rather than because it's cool (which I'm sure you do--it's some of these kids I'm not sure about), you're okay in my book.
Hammer, you're right, of course. This pop crap killed the cowboy songs and such. But I can sometimes enjoy the pop-country stuff. And it's ridiculously catchy, which is fantastic for karaoke bars.
It did kind of sadden me when my girlfriend had been unaware that the Rascal Flatts version of "Life is a Highway" was not the first. She did, however, become increasingly eager to learn about real country and southern rock.