Monday, August 27, 2007

My letter was published!

Wow. The Olympian actually published my letter. And before tomorrow, even. I know it was kind of short and had little real info, but I figured that was the best way to get it printed. I guess this means my last name is out there for you readers, but that's alright. I'm sure any astute reader who tried hard enough could've easily tracked me down.

Hopefully, you all get a chance to buy some ammo and/or other gun stuff tomorrow. I'm going to hit Wal-Mart, Sportsman's Warehouse, and J&S Guns, buying .45, .22, and .30-06, respectively. And if any of them are running a good deal, my shopping list may change a bit.

I'd order a press and some other reloading stuff from Midway, but I'm still not sure what equipment I'll want to start on (all I know is that it's about time I did start--can't find/afford 8mm, and .30-06 isn't cheap, either).

4 comments:

Hammer said...

Century arms usually has some 8mm.

I started reloading with a lee single stage press. It's rugged and the carbide dies are great.

I reload 30-30, 30-06, 45-70 and .308.

I use a dillon to crank out .45acp and .44mag in mass quantities.

Let me know if you need any tips.

Drew said...

Thanks, Hammer. I had been looking at the Lee stuff and feeling pretty tempted by the way their prices are lower than some of the other folks. It's good to hear that it's quality equipment.
I'll probably reload 8mm and .30-06, with .45 and .40 coming later, since I don't see the savings being as great for pistol calibers.

Hammer said...

The only savings you will get is by picking up old brass, and loading cast lead bullets.

I've had good luck with cast bullets in .45acp in my 1911s.

Some modern pistols(like glocks)have polygonal rifling and cannot safely fire cast lead.

Drew said...

Both my XD and my Steyr have rifled barrels, so cast bullets aren't a problem. I already sometimes get my .45 from friends and relatives who reload, and I give them all my brass.
Eventually, I'd like to load my own .45, at least, but that's a ways down the road.
Thanks for all the tips.