Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Crotchety

I need a change of scenery. Mind you, I'm not particularly bored with my current scenery...I just feel like I'm becoming a crotchety old man.

I work at the same college I graduated from. I find myself constantly thinking about things in terms of how they were when I was here. I walk past the web office and mutter about the number of monitors they think they need. In my day, I used one monitor, and it wasn't a big one. I look at all the additions they make to the campus and think that I never felt we needed more stuff. I try to talk to the students, then find myself grumbling about their generation.

I'm not old enough to be a crotchety old man. Not anywhere near old enough. When the freshmen and sophomores have no idea what Heaven's Gate was, know nothing about Waco, listen to rap, use all sorts of slang I don't know, and have never played an Atari (hell, some of them started at SNES or later), I feel old, even though I know they aren't that much younger than me. And, hey, they don't know about Schrodinger's Cat, the light-slit experiment, utilitarian ethics, or so many other things, I may be assuming far more things are common knowledge than I thought.

In any case, I really need a different job. One where I won't have a history telling me things are going downhill, and where I won't be around the young too much. It may be naive to think I can escape my crotchety nature, but I have to try.

No comments: