Thursday, August 02, 2007

Capacity

I've been in debates about how much handgun people need. Caliber debates are always irreconcilable battles, but almost everyone agrees that it is ultimately the choice of the carrier. The worst debates are revolver vs. autoloader and the natural extension of that debate: optimum capacity.

The debate always goes something like this...

New Shooter: I'm looking for a good carry weapon. I was thinking about a revolver because I'm on a budget [or other reason].
Auto Man: You really need to think about capacity. You don't want to run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight.
Other Person: You know, capacity is never the most important person. A five shot revolver should be enough for any situation you might find yourself in. If you've fired five times without finding cover, escaping, or eliminating the threat, something has gone horribly wrong.
NS: Well, y'know, I could miss five times if he's moving too much...
AM: If I only account for the expected, I wouldn't even carry. I have to consider the situations that almost never happen.
OP: But you should never be in a situation in which you have fired more than five rounds and aren't in a safer position. You shouldn't plan to take out Hans Gruber...you should plan to defend yourself and your family.
AM: If I'm against multiple opponents and they keep moving, I may have to keep firing just to keep them down. And I don't want to have to reload.
OP: Well, I'm not going to make you carry a revolver, but I don't think your scenario is what you should plan for.
NS: I went and bought a [Glock, Sigma, Taurus, or other autoloader].
OP: *sigh*

The thought of a lot of these tactical guys is that you should plan for a ridiculous situation. They think that anyone carrying a revolver (or even a single stack autoloader) is outgunned, outclassed, and making a huge mistake.

If you have to fire at all, you should hit your target. If you have fired five shots, you've had some return fire. Return fire, as we should all know, is very hazardous to your health. You should plan to avoid it. Learn to keep moving toward cover. Learn to hit your target. Don't learn to carry something that puts a lot of lead in the air. You are not only making yourself a target, you endanger those who might be found by those missed bullets you've sent near your target.

When it comes to revolver vs. autoloader, there are a lot of good points to be made in the debate. Either choice, though, is a good one, and you should not feel outgunned because you carry a revolver.

No comments: