Saturday, July 14, 2007

Overdue range report

I just noticed my lack of a range report for my Steyr M40. I'll try to keep it short and sweet, since you can easily find detailed reviews elsewhere.

First off, she fit nicely in my hand, despite my hands being a bit larger than most other shooters'. The grip angle really made the gun feel balanced. It felt even better when I started shooting.

The recoil feels a little less snappy than most .40s, since the grip angle puts the barrel closer in line with your arm. It also comes back down very naturally.

Being designed as a .40 (unlike so many others that are .40 barrels on 9mm frames), the casings expand less than in others, which would be great if I were to start reloading. It also feels like a more solid design than the redesigned 9mms.

The sights are very good for quick target acquisition. They aren't long-distance precision sights, but they're fantastic for defensive use.

There were a few downsides, of course. The mags are stiffer than a new Glock mag, and shped slightly differently than I'd like, which made loading them kind of a chore. I'm sure they'll loosen up a bit, but I'm seriously considering finding a decent magloader.

Every few shots, a casing will come directly back at me, as will a bit of hot material. I inspected the casings, and I think the problem is the length of the loaded chamber indicator. They have a mark from something dragging across them, and it isn't the firing pin. I can probably fix this.

I don't know if I care for the trigger. It's a wide plastic trigger, which doesn't feel quite right to me. It's also a little heavier than I'd like, and I don't know of anyone who does Steyr trigger jobs.

Overall, she's a good gun, though I'm still much more of a .45 man. The Steyr, though, is a slightly smaller gun, which may make her a good one for slightly more discrete carry.

No comments: