Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Terrorism in College

In 2002 I graduated from Tenino High School. I had been accepted into two universities: Oregon State University (OSU) and Southern Oregon University (SOU). Having lived in Corvallis, OR for many years I decided to attend SOU in Ashland, OR. This was the first time I had ever seen academic terrorism.
I was a naive 19 year old kid, away from home for the first time; I was excited about the opportunity to prove myself academically. The words of Mr. Stregal from Tenino High resonated in my ears, "I don't know why any of you are taking the SAT. There no college dumb enough to take anyone in this room." Determined to prove him wrong, I started taking classes. It didn't take long for me to discover that I was no longer in the preverbal Kansas. I had entered the world of leftist elites.
I am not going to relive every experience in my two years at SOU, but I would like to mention some of the more notable ones.
I was accepted into the Honors Program my freshman year. It was a wonderful experience. My main professor was Dr. Sandra Coyner, the director of the Honors Program. While she was without a doubt an extreme leftist, she was willing to listen to and debate different viewpoints. Based on my experience with Dr. Coyner I decided to apply, and was accepted, to the Churchill Honors Program. It was a very different experience. My first class was with Dr. Ric Holt, who was teaching Greek Philosophy. It took about a week for the class to learn that not only did he have no knowledge of Greek Philosophy, but he wasn't planning to teach anything on it. Instead he wanted to talk about the "Evil US" and how it causes all the worlds problems. This was a recurring theme at SOU. I had a Medieval History class discussion break down into 50 people yelling "Fuck Bush" at one another.
The second Churchill class I took was with Michael Holstein. It was one of the greatest classes I have ever taken, Enlightenment Ethics. At the end of his class he took me aside and asked me if I was going to continue with the program. I told him that I was, to which he responded, "Ryan, I like you, but you shouldn't take Contemporary Ethics. You are a smart guy, but your way too right-wing. I don't mark students down because of political philosophy, but she does (Sandra Holstein, his wife, and teacher of Contemporary Ethics)."
I didn't believe him, but I should have. Contemporary Ethics turned out to be, "White people are racists, and men are evil." I tried to interject some reason into the class, but to no avail. I brought in UCRs. I was told to put them away. I brought up the idea that black culture might be hurting itself. I was called a racist, and told that it was a "conservative idea" and therefore wrong.
I would like to say that these were isolated incidences, but that would be a lie. Almost every class I took was slanted to the left in the most extreme manner. This is the tactic most used by the left elites to force others to take on their belief system. First they remind students that they know more than the student, and cannot be wrong. Then they force students to worship leftist ideal, while forcibly removing opposing viewpoints. They remind students that conservatives are uneducated, illiterate monkeys. By using these tactics they allow people like Ward Churchill to flourish.
I would like to say that this only happens at SOU, but that also would be a lie. Everywhere I look I see the same thing. I was lucky enough to transfer to St. Martin's University for my last two years. I wish that I didn’t have to go to a private Catholic school to get an education, but that seems to be what it takes in modern America. This is not to say that SMU is without bias or that public schools are all evil, but the pervious are much more open to ideas than the latter.
Today students are fighting back. Students are recording their teachers to expose these extremist teachers. We need more of this type of action to bring schools back to where they should be... In the center. For places of learning and tolerance, it is amazing how little learning and tolerance you find.

No comments: