Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Freedoms

So it's been awhile since I've posted here. I'm sorry.
I've been hearing a lot of anti-gun stuff again lately. I talked about it here and here. One thing people never seem to get is how fragile our liberties are.
In fact, some of our cherished freedoms are not as Constitutionally protected as one might think. The First Amendment starts, "Congress shall makw no law[...]" It doesn't say that the states will respect individual freedoms. Nowhere does it say that Utah couldn't make all citizens practice Mormonism. Quartering troops in wartime is to be done "in a manner to be prescribed by law."
Some of you may see this as madness. How could any part of my local, state or federal government strip me of those rights? Well, there's a protection. "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." That's it. No "except according to the law" or "except to keep our streets safe." As long as we protect that right, the government will know better than to attack our other rights.
Am I a madman revolutionary? Possibly, but not likely. I'm not planning to overthrow the government, nor am I thoroughly prepared for a time I may have to defend my right to bear arms. I just practice my rights. Well, except the rights regarding to trials. I haven't found myself needing those.
If we allow the government to take the only right they expressly cannot, they will whittle away at the ones with a less solid base. And how will we stop them? An unarmed populus is nothing more than a herd of sheep.

No comments: